Thursday, March 25, 2010

Playing Possum

I was walking the dog the other day and saw a possum. Right there in broad daylight. I haven't seen a possum in a very long time, unless you count the dead ones on the road. Anyway, my dog was looking at him and thinking (because, yes, I do know what my dog thinks)"What the *&%# is that thing?" So we stood there and watched that possum for a long time. Here's what I thought about that possum. That possum was the ugliest thing I have ever seen. It's fur was sort of mottled looking, kinda checkered brown and white. And of course it had that rat tail that gives you the creeps. And that pointy face and red eyes. A seriously not good looking animal. But here's the thing. It was downright merry. I could almost hear it humming a little tune. I wonder what a possum would hum..... maybe "I gotta feeling" by the Black Eyed Peas. And I thought..."good for you little possum! You don't care that you are hideous...and a bit thick in the middle." I mean, that possum was owning it ! So, like all good philosophers, I thought, "there is a lesson here." Be who you are. Even if you have a rat tail and a pointy face..be proud of who you are! That's what I liked about Napoleon Dynamite. Now he was a geeky kid, but he didn't care. He went on with his life as if he was the coolest thing ever. And he made it so. In the end he caught a delicious bass and got the girl.
So worry not about your imperfections. Go forth and be happy today!

No comments:

Post a Comment