Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The real cure


Update: I have been doing some breathing exercises in accordance with the HeartMath outline and am happy to report that my blood pressure is down a bit. Sometimes it is really good, sometimes not so much. So I am working on it. And I do feel much better already.

But today I want to talk about something else that is good for your heart and that thing is fried green tomatoes. No, not the movie..although I like that flick..it's a good yarn. I am talking about the sweet, loving comfort that can only come from this delicacy. And because I am a most generous sort, I am gonna share the recipe with you so that you, too can experience the bliss.

I got this recipe from a woman who wore really big glasses. I mean plate size glasses..thus her nickname, "Plates." She was grumpy and caustic. I kinda liked her. She's passed on now...and I hope that they serve these on the other side!

Get yourself some green tomatoes and slice them in 1/2 inch slices.
Set up three shallow bowls. In the first one you put some flour, salt, a dash of sugar and a dash of cayenne.
In the second bowl whisk together one egg with a little milk.
In the third bowl put some coarsely crushed corn flakes.

In a nonstick skillet heat 1 Tbl unsalted butter and 1 Tbl olive oil over medium heat until the foam from the butter subsides.

Dredge one slice at a time in flour, egg wash then the corn flakes (press the cornflakes into the tomato) and place in skillet. Make sure you don't burn the corn flakes! Fry for about 2-3 mins per side then transfer onto a baking sheet and place in oven at 375 degrees for about 10 mins until tender.

Now I suppose that some people would tell me that the best thing for my heart is to shy away from "frying" anything. Yeah, well....life ain't perfect and a little pat of butter never killed anyone.

I like the tartness of the green tomatoes...it tastes fresh. My mom, on the other hand, likes to take regular red tomatoes and fry them up somehow until they are sort of like pulp then make a gravy out of the whole mess and slop it onto a plate. I mean, seriously...she would bathe in that crap if she could. Whatever...different weirdness for different folks.

Later! Breathe and eat, people!!

No comments:

Post a Comment