Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Snow day!!

Yesterday was a snow day. I never had a snow day when I was a kid because we did not live in a place that snowed. I was always envious of those kids who got up in the morning to see that there's piles of snow outside and then find out that school is cancelled for the day. What a gift from the heavens!! Well, I got to experience that yesterday. I woke up to a bunch of heavy, wet snow and thought, great...looks like treacherous driving conditions today. Then I got the call that the massage place I work at in Bend was closing for the day. I was like, sweet! A day of sloth! And that is what it was; one movie, some reading and two naps.

Finally I decided to go outside and take the dog for a walk. As I was on the return leg of my walk I saw a group of unsupervised kids roaming the path in the canyon....it was, after all, a snow day for them as well, and they were probably bored with video games and such and decided to go look for trouble. There was a shopping cart that a group of unsupervised girls were playing with earlier..and left in the canyon. One boy declared that he was going to "toss the shopping cart off the top of the canyon." I thought, great, good use of your time, kid. Now, some of you might say that if I was a responsible adult that I would have intervened here and said, "no, you little punk, you shouldn't do that." But let me make this clear to you now. Unless there is someone getting hurt, the days of me interrupting your roving bands of delinquent brats are over. I did that for over 20 years with very little gratitude. I have done my part and frankly, it is not my responsibility. So the one kid (all his friends were ignoring him....they realized just how stupid he was) started hauling the shopping cart up the cement stairs. He got it up about 4 stairs. Then he let it go. I started laughing. How frickin' lazy can you be? See, that's what's wrong with our country these days. That is what's wrong with our youth. They will not take two minutes out of their completely unproductive day to commit an act of mild criminal mischief just for the pure joy of it. The second it becomes too hard and you don't have the masses jeering you on...you abandon all efforts. Pitiful.

Speaking of that...do you know where your kids are?

No comments:

Post a Comment