Thursday, September 30, 2010

Side effects

I think we can all agree that it is increasingly difficult to watch TV these days due to the commercials for prescription drugs. The drug companies are out of control! The most annoying of all (it's hard to choose, I know) has to be the guy who "trusts his heart to Lipitor." This guy has the most pathetic face of any man I have seen. He had a heart attack at 56! Unheard of!! He admits that he "should have listened to his doctor and done more for his high cholesterol.....what was I thinking?" Could he be any more whiny? Anyway, I have to change the channel when this ad comes on...not just mute the sound....because then I can still see his face. My mom and I agree about the utter pitifulness of this guy and she got DVR just so she wouldn't have to see it (well, maybe she wanted to miss a few other ads as well.) But then I saw another guy who "trusts his heart to Lipitor" who, I grant you, is not so loserish as the first guy, but close. So, I actually watched that ad (such is my life) and I observed something that I had not noticed before. There is a side effect to Lipitor that is clearly shown in the ads but, interestingly, not mentioned in the long, tiresome list of side effects that they read to you. Obviously, Lipitor makes men do stupid shit with their wives that they would not normally ever do! In the first pathetic guy (after Lipitor saves his life) he dons a stupid bike helmet (at a jaunty angle) and rides a bicycle on a bike path at like 2 miles per hour with his wife (and grown son no less, who probably has not left home yet.) This is not normal. In the less pitiful ad, the guy is antique shopping with his wife. Yeah right! I know of no real man that would do either of these things...willingly. I feel that it is my duty to alert you men to this alarming side effect. Be careful, guys!! I wonder what happens to women if they take this drug? Do they have to hang out with their husbands while they sit in their recliners and watch NASCAR? Do they have to follow them around when they are "puttering in the garage?" Good Lord.....beware!!

If for no other reason than what I have described above....please do not listen to the drug ads. You don't know what you may be getting yourself into!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Ahhh...glad you liked those commercials Lee. Just wait for the next Lipitor ad that features an pathetic guy eating quiche with his wife and dog (low fat of course :-).

    ReplyDelete