Monday, March 21, 2011

It's a relief

Everyone seems so disturbed by the meltdown that is Charlie Sheen right now. First of all, I don't believe that many are truly disturbed by it (it's just the sort of thing that we love to watch) and if they are, I don't understand why. I'm gonna tell you right now that I am on Charlie's side. Yes, there is some evidence that he has some problems. Maybe he parties too much. Maybe he has a slight mental disorder. Maybe he has some rage issues. OK, I hope he gets past them without hurting anyone. But in the meantime...he looks like he is having a pretty good time..and honestly, he isn't the only person with some issues, is he? I think he just might be a little more honest about his. But the biggest reason I am rooting for Charlie Sheen is because he is giving us all a break from the perfect, righteous, "blessed" celebrities that are setting a really bad example for the rest of us. I thank him for that! I am sooooo sick of all these do-gooder actors that are being hoisted up on those pedestals by the rest of us. How can we live up to their perfection? They work out five hours a day, they eat purely organic food, they drink fair trade coffee, they adopt starving children from around the world and they brag about just how "normal and boring" they really are. They are "blessed." Ugh....they are probably just as flawed as Charlie...they just keep a better lid on it.
The thing I like about Charlie Sheen is that he is tired of pretending that his life isn't great. He has gobs of money, he has two girlfriends in their 20's (men like that!) and he has access to everything he wants. Nice. Charlie is not trying to be perfect and righteous. Whew! It's refreshing. It's what we used to expect from Hollywood.....excess!! And it just feels more normal to me.
And maybe, just maybe there isn't one thing wrong with Charlie Sheen. Maybe he is just taking a different approach that most don't understand. That is certainly possible. Maybe he is just as sick of the righteous, judgemental people in this world as I am...and he is making a point. Just because we don't understand it doesn't mean he isn't right.

No comments:

Post a Comment